Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Tinkering

Minor progress this week. Other hobbies and events have intruded heavily into my shop time, unfortunately.

But I did manage to make some progress in dieting the wiring harness. It's a very small example, but this is the dash clock out of the donor car. I won't be needing that, so I traced and cut out the wiring for that. I'm still working on identifying what everything is.

I also started working on the parking brake handle. This one is out of the donor car. It used to have a plastic / faux leather cover on it, but it was so scratched, worn, and peeling that it didn't make sense to keep that part. I'm going to have to find a way to wrap it with leather so it's not quite so ugly, but that's a problem for later.

What I was able to do, though, is cut down the mounting tabs on the bottom, and get some steel welded to the bottom for mounting in the car. This helps move it down and back a bit, so it will be less in the way while driving.

Here's what it looks like sitting on the tunnel. The heavy cables are the push-pull tables that actually operate the transmission at the back of the car. I did get a little bit of work done in making the clamps for the ends (the silver ferrules), but I need to put more thought and effort into building that.

Both the parking brake and the shift lever have solutions in the kit, but I have opted not to use them, because I like my way better.





No comments:

Post a Comment