Once I have it all labeled, I can continue the diet.
Monday, May 2, 2022
There are a lot of features that were in the donor car that I won't be using in the kit, so I am just tripping wire out that is related to those feature. In this example, anti-lock brakes. Nope, no driver aids in the kit car. This is the connector that plugged into the ABS unit, and I don't wat it flopping around in the kit, so it's time to diet it.
Oddly, this reminded me a lot of chasing network cables through a crowded wiring closet. I guess my time in IT has some real-world applications after all.
When you get to the other end of the wire, cut it off there, too.
Then identify and diet the next unneeded plug.
You may note a couple of things in the background of this pic - first, my hands are filthy; and second, the orange bucket half-full of trash. Both of these result from having to remove a lot of electric tape and wire loom from the bundled harness. The adhesive on the tape, after years in the donor car, turns to goo that gets all over everything and is challenging to wash off.
Wednesday, April 27, 2022
But I did manage to make some progress in dieting the wiring harness. It's a very small example, but this is the dash clock out of the donor car. I won't be needing that, so I traced and cut out the wiring for that. I'm still working on identifying what everything is.
What I was able to do, though, is cut down the mounting tabs on the bottom, and get some steel welded to the bottom for mounting in the car. This helps move it down and back a bit, so it will be less in the way while driving.
Both the parking brake and the shift lever have solutions in the kit, but I have opted not to use them, because I like my way better.
Friday, March 25, 2022
I pulled out a good chunk in my first pass, but there's still a lot to do. And I also will need to identify all the wires from this harness where they connect to the engine harness, because there will be a bunch of wires I can remove there to match things I cut out of the engine harness already. Then the fun of splicing it all together can begin. Or just building my own, I haven't really decided yet.
Wednesday, March 16, 2022
First, I got the axles in, connecting the outputs of the transmission to the rear hubs. Of course, this meant I had to unbolt all the links that connected the knuckle assembly, and just last week I bolted a bunch of heavy stuff to it. I ended up using my engine hoist as a kind of skyhook so I didn't have to wrangle all the weight myself.
As I was putting it all back together, I also assembled and installed the rear coilovers, and went through to install a bunch of spacers on all of the bolts connecting all of the rear suspension members to the rear knuckle and to the frame. And there are kind of a lot of them - each side has two trailing links, three lateral links, and a coilover.
Last but not least, I installed the shock tower brace that ties the rear end of the frame together above the transmission, adding rigidity to the rear portion of the frame.
It feels like good work got done this week. I'm excited to see what happens next.
Wednesday, March 9, 2022
First up, I bolted in this support for the back of the driver's seat. The seat bottom will bolt to brackets on the floor; this supports and constrains the upright back section. I need to take it back out again, of course, because I need to paint the steel angle it's bolted to.
The donor car, like most passenger cars, had more braking up front. The kit, being rear-engined, needs more balanced brakes, so the big discs and 4-pot calipers on all four corners will help, particularly since the brakes are unboosted. There will be a proportioning valve in the hydraulic system to tune the balance if needed.
I'm thinking axles and rear suspension might be next.
Wednesday, March 2, 2022
Wednesday, January 12, 2022
This pile of loose junk...
Most of the wiring was actually useful, and while I did strip out a few connectors and a few yards of wire, the big benefit is really that I moved one big connector from the right side to the left, so it will all go into the cabin through one hole in the firewall.
And I am very tempted to upgrade the turbo and intercooler while I am at this stage, too.