Monday, April 5, 2021
Wednesday, March 17, 2021
On the left is a bucked style of rivet, which is set with a rivet squeezer; it actually deforms into countersunk a countersunk hole on the back of the work to provide a flush finish on both sides.
These are aircraft rivets, used in applications where drag reduction is paramount, so no protrusions can be allowed.
Safe to say these pieces are securely fastened. I did a few more just to do it, and they all worked very well. I'm convinced.
That's for next weekend, though.
Tuesday, March 16, 2021
Here's the fuel tank in the car. It sits back flush to the vertical place formed by some frame members. It's a bit hard to see from this picture, but there are a couple of things that protrude through that plane, and therefore through the firewall skin I am putting there - the filler neck and the vent fitting.
Tubes from both of these will go up and outboard (left in this picture) to the fuel filler on the fender.
Here, I have three panels mocked up to form the lower and middle sections. There's also going to be a vertical upper section lying tight against the upper aft firewall skin (this gets important later), and a small lower center section to cover most of the gap (but leaving a space for shift cables and wiring to pass through).
Tuesday, March 2, 2021
Next up is to get the tank actually bolted to the chassis. It does have mounting ears (you can see one of them in the previous picture), so I will drill through those and get some bolts into the frame and the floor. I am waiting on some rubber tape, though. Should show up today.
Tuesday, February 23, 2021
Previously, in the build...
I'm using a third-party fuel tank in the car. This means I can't use the firewall that shipped with the kit, so I have to make my own.
I've elected to make it by riveting together flat panels with aluminum angles. So this is an angle here - nice and square. But I don't want it square, I want to open it up a bit, to about 112 degrees, to match the sloping front face of the fuel tank.
Tuesday, February 16, 2021
I also did a bunch of thinking and planning about the firewall at the rear of the cabin. I believe I will not be using the firewall sections provided with the kit, but I have not yet decided 100% what to replace them with. Options include .063" aluminum, .125" aluminum, mild steel, and carbon steel; and welded or riveted construction.
Tuesday, February 9, 2021
Note the spiffy adjustable forward lateral links - those should help dial in the rear alignment.
Sunday, February 7, 2021
First, I bolted up some brackets to the rear knuckles. These will allow the attachment of the coilovers and some control links.
They have recommended initial lengths, measured from center to center, so I needed a way to measure that well.
I have new lateral links to put in as well, and then I should be able to get the rear knuckles on the car.
Tuesday, February 2, 2021
There's still a bunch to do on the mount; I have to make a mounting point for the hip belt portion of the harnesses, which is going to involve a little welding. Then the whole thing wants paint. And I have to make a tab for mounting the submarine belt, and get that mounted to the frame.
But overall, here's what the driver's seat will look like. Of course, the passenger side will be an additional story.
Sunday, January 31, 2021
Monday, January 18, 2021
Using a flap wheel on my grinder, I beveled the edges where they will be joined, and also went over the margin to remove the normal oxidation.
Seems like this just might work out.
Monday, January 4, 2021
The upper portion of the aft firewall is next. That one is more likely to want to come out at some point, because the front of the engine will be right there, and it may facilitate replacing the timing belt or something.