Sunday, October 18, 2020

A good afternoon in the shop

Back to the shop for an afternoon round!

Here's the next piece of aluminum for the interior, marked and drilled. This took a bit of care, because there are some places where frame members get in the way, and I wouldn't be able to get a drill or a rivet gun in there. You can see a few places I have colored out to remind me not to mark for holes there.

Then here it is all Clecoed up onto the frame.

 And here it is riveted into place. For an example of places I could not reach with the drill, look at the lower edge of the panel, closest to the floor pan. The two black steel tubes that form the X shape kept me from putting rivets at the very front and rear - about the first and last three inches.

Overall, a very satisfying day. It feels good to be unstuck, and putting pieces on the frame always feels like real progress. All the side sub-projects are good, but not as good as actually building the car.

A good morning in the shop


 Well, I didn't get as much done as I had wanted to over the last couple of weeks. I've been kind of stalled because I was so pissed off at myself after destroying the bearings and seals in the rear knuckles, and because other things have been getting in the way.

But today, I finally cleaned off the workbench and got started on interior aluminum. Here's the first panel of the day on the bench for marking. Also featured here is my home made rivet marking gauge.

And after drilling, deburring, Clecoing, and sealing, here it is all riveted up.

There's another panel aft of this one I am hoping to get done this afternoon, after lunch.

In other news not related to the build itself, I am getting a few spam comments submitted on various posts. This is why I have moderation turned on - every comment that's made gets sent to me for approval. So if you do make a comment - and you're encouraged to if you're not a spammer! - but it doesn't show up right away, please be patient; I'll approve it as soon as I can.

Friday, October 9, 2020

Interior panels - first test fit

 

Since I am stopped on the rear suspension, I'm moving on to the nest step of the build - installing interior aluminum panels. Here we see the first test fit of a couple of panels, which showed me one place I will need to remove a small amount fo material to clear a weld on the frame. There are two more panels which will go forward of these to finish closing up the side, and form the dead pedal to the left of the clutch pedal - and, of course, matching panels for the passenger side.

Sunday, October 4, 2020

More pressing concerns!

Another session on the shop press today. The goal was to press in rear bearings and hubs, and I did manage to get that done.

The new hubs came with standard studs, which I wanted to upgrade, so first I pressed out the stock ones.
... and pressed in the new ones.

Then I pressed in the bearings. Not shown here is the seals going in, or the actual hubs going in.
But here's what the assemblies look like, completed.

And right this minute is when I realized I forgot a part - the brake plates I spent so much time on.

So I had to go press out the hubs and bearings again. I did get the brake plates installed, but now I have to order new bearings and seals - the hubs I can re-use.


Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Some weeks suck

 

I guess this week did have some redeeming qualities - I spent a day brewing, for example. But there has not been a lot of progress on the car just lately. I'm a little bit stopped on the rear suspension as I need to get some time on my uncle's shop press, installing the bearings and hubs in the rear knuckles, before I can bolt them up to the various arms.

But I have been stealing a few minutes here and there to get these brackets painted. These will also bolt up to the rear knuckles to allow the connection of some adjustable control links for the independent rear suspension.

Monday, September 14, 2020

Front suspension - check!

So, as noted earlier, the sway bar I was waiting for showed up from the Subaru dealer the other day, and I spent some time putting it in yesterday. This required partially disassembling the suspension I put so much effort into previously, and it was a complete pain getting the bushings compressed into place, but it did all go together. And then I reassembled the front suspension again.

It's not truly 100% yet, as it would be meaningless to adjust and torque everything until it has wheels on it and it's supporting its own weight, but all the parts are on the car.
 

Friday, September 11, 2020

Parts day!


 Well, the replacement sway bar showed up today. I had ordered it online from the local Subaru dealer (cheapest place I found it, oddly), and the parts truck just drove up and dropped odd the new bar and matching bushings. Here is it in comparison to the bar I took off the donor car - the donor part is both wider and thicker, and has several mounting points on the ends, where the stock part only has single mounts. I have no idea what the donor part is, but it seems to be some kind of go-fast aftermarket part.

I believe that this is the last piece I need for the front suspension, so at the weekend, I'll be putting all of that back together.